Follow us on:   

Protests make China scrap $6bn nuclear plant
July 13, 2013, 7:49 am

China’s National Development and Reform Commission has stated that China would add 3.24GW of nuclear power this year [Xinhua]

China’s National Development and Reform Commission has stated that China would add 3.24GW of nuclear power this year [Xinhua]

China has scrapped a $6 billion nuclear project after local residents opposed the plant on grounds of safety, health and environmental concerns.

The nuclear fuel processing plant at Longwan Industrial Park project in the city of Heshan has been cancelled, according to local government officials on Saturday.

Earlier on Friday, Heshan local municipal government officials said in a press conference that there would be an extension of the public consultation period.

China National Nuclear Corporation was the builder of the axed project.

Wu Yuxiong, mayor of Heshan said there were massive protests against the nuclear plant.

“The Heshan government respects the public’s opinion and will not apply for approval for the project,” Wu said.

According to local media reports, several hundred protestors took to the streets in Jiangmen city to protest against the plant.

The planned industrial park featured a designed capacity of 1,000 tonnes of uranium by 2020 and was designed to provide conversion and enrichment for China’s expanding nuclear power programme.

China’s National Development and Reform Commission has stated that China would add 3.24GW of nuclear power this year.

Source: Agencies

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Anti-Spam * Time limit is exhausted. Please reload the CAPTCHA.