|Follow us on:|
Following Friday’s fatal explosions, Chinese President Xi Jinping has ordered a large-scale production safety check and warned Chinese industries to “learn the lessons”.
“This accident once again sounded an alarm for us that production safety must be ensured without loosening hold. Otherwise, it will bring irredeemable loss for the country and the people,” Xi said on Sunday.
Xi was inspecting rescue work in Qingdao, a port city in east China’s Shandong Province where two fatal blasts triggered by a crude oil leak from one of China’s state-owned oil company Sinopec’s old pipeline killed more that fifty people.
A total of 18,000 people were evacuated on Saturday from the affected district.
“A large-scale work safety check should be launched… with inspectors going deep into the production sites anonymously and unannounced,” Xi said, urging immediate focus on underground oil and gas pipeline networks.
Shares of Sinopec tumbled on Monday following Friday’s deadly pipeline blasts.
The Chinese government had already sent an investigation team to Sinopec.
Sinopec said its crude oil pipeline in the Qingdao Economic and Technological Development Zone in Shandong ruptured on Friday morning, resulting in oil leakage and some crude oil entered into the covered municipal drainage trench and flowed into the frith of the bay area.
The Donghuang II Pipeline was put into operation in July 1986.