|Follow us on:|
Two Indian soldiers were killed while one was critically wounded in the December 19 attack on the UN base in the Jonglei state town of Akobo in South Sudan.
The UN Mission in South Sudan (UNMISS) held a memorial ceremony in Juba on Saturday for the two Indian Battalion peacekeepers killed in the attack.
Special Representative of the UN Secretary-General (SRSG) for South Sudan Hilde Johnson paid tribute to the fallen peacekeepers.
“As a mission, we are inspired by the dedication shown by the Indian troops,” said Johnson, who laid wreaths on the coffins of the slain peacekeepers during the ceremony.
“Had it not been for their bravery, the death toll at the (UNMISS base) could have been higher.”
China has also condoled the Indian peacekeepers’ death.
“China conveys sympathy to the families of the victims and the Indian government,” Foreign Ministry Spokesperson Hua Chunying told a press briefing.
Rebels from the Nuer ethnic group stormed the UN base on Thursday, targeting civilians of the majority Dinka ethnic community.
Since fighting broke out last Sunday between forces loyal to South Sudan President Salva Kiir and his former deputy Riek Machar, some 500 people have been killed so far in Juba, the capital of South Sudan. Kiir accused Machar of orchestrating a military coup against him.
The UN is sheltering more than 30,000 civilians in five state capitals, including Juba and Bor.
The African Union (AU) on Saturday called for an immediate truce in South Sudan.
“Two and a half years ago, the AU welcomed the new nation of South Sudan into its ranks, with high expectations that this new country would become a beacon of peace, prosperity and hope,” said the AU statement.
Nkosazana Dlamini-Zuma, Chairperson of AU Commission warned that the confrontation now is in danger of becoming an all-out civil war.