Follow us on:   

Typhoon Haiyan death toll revised to 3,982
November 19, 2013, 8:27 am

Relief aid has been stepped up as the UN warns that up to four million people could have been displaced by Super Typhoon Haiyan [Getty Images]

Relief aid has been stepped up as the UN warns that up to four million people could have been displaced by Super Typhoon Haiyan [Getty Images]

More than a week after Typhoon Haiyan, one of the most powerful storms to make landfall this year, ravaged central and eastern Philippines, the authorities have revised the death toll to 3,982.

But the National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council says that at least 1,600 people are still missing and that the number of injured now stands at over 18,000.

The UN continues to warn that the final toll is likely to be higher as relief workers have yet to reach remote areas.

Some roads in the provinces of Leyte and Samar have been wiped out and electric power is intermittent at best. Phone lines are still down in many areas.

The world body says at least half a million homes have been destroyed and up to four million people could have been displaced.

A number of world powers have provided assistance to the Philippines.

Over the course of the past week, Russia dispatched two Ilyushin-76 planes carrying doctors, rescuers and psychologists to support relief efforts in the Philippines, said Oleg Voronov, deputy head of the Russian Emergency Situations Ministry’s crisis centre.

The planes also transported relief supplies including 56 tonnes of canned meat and fish, as well as sugar.

The UN announced it will send $25 million in aid to help the country deal with the aftermath of the typhoon.

Canada dispatched three CH-146 Griffon military helicopters and their crew to help with rescue efforts, while a contingent of soldiers is already in the Philippines to set up water filtering systems.

Canada says that it lists 47 of its citizens among the missing in the Philippines.

On Monday, Ottawa announced it was donating $20 million to relief efforts, in addition to $15 million raised by individuals and charities in Canada.

The US has offered $37 million in addition to dozens of naval ships, helicopters and military personnel to assist in rescue operations and distribute food and water.

On Monday, China announced that it was awaiting permission from the Philippines to send emergency rescue and medical teams.

India last week used an Indian Air Forc C-130 to send 15 tonnes of medicines, fresh water and purification equipment, tents, sleeping paraphernalia and food.

An Indian naval vessel is expected to provide further relief when it arrives in the Philippines.

Source: Agencies

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Anti-Spam * Time limit is exhausted. Please reload the CAPTCHA.