|Follow us on:|
“When the authorities prove they can provide security. We have no intentions to shut the embassy, because there are no grounds to cut ties with this country, but staying there is insecure at the moment,” Molotkov said in an interview with Interfax news agency.
The Russian Embassy was evacuated last week after gunmen tried to storm its diplomatic mission in Tripoli.
No Russians were injured but all staff and family members were evacuated from the country.
The assault on the Russian embassy was triggered by the arrest of a 24-year-old Russian woman who allegedly murdered a senior Libyan military official.
A group of four diplomats are currently in neighbouring Tunis and could return to Tripoli once adequate security is provided.
“The embassy will resume its work when the [Libyan] government accomplishes its promises regarding adequate security measures,” Molotkov said.
The ambassador also stressed that Libya should investigate the incident.
The attack was condemned by the United Nations Security Council who have demanded Tripoli ensure the security of foreign diplomats in the region.
French and American embassies were also attacked earlier in the troubled country.
The US consulate in Benghazi came under attack last year when armed attackers killed Ambassador Christopher Stevens and three other Americans on September 11, 2012.
Libya’s government has been struggling to build up an effective army and police force since Muammar Gaddafi’s overthrow.
The country’s government relies on militias made up of thousands of Libyans who took up arms against Gaddafi to help maintain security, however, these rival groups often become security threats themselves.