|Follow us on:|
“The South African Government categorically condemns the violence used by the Egyptian security forces to disperse the pro-democracy demonstrators in Cairo and elsewhere in Egypt yesterday,” a statement from the Department of International Relations and Cooperation said on Thursday.
In a significant indictment of the interim government, South Africa has called for an investigation into the ‘massacre’ against the demonstrators.
“The South African Government calls on the interim authority to end the bloody actions against its own people; to conduct a credible and transparent judicial investigation against those who committed the massacres since 30 June 2013,” it added.
The Egyptian presidency said in a statement on Friday that the country was facing “terrorist acts”.
The government says 525 died nationwide on Wednesday while the Muslim Brotherhood insists that more than 2000 people have died.
A state of emergency has been declared in Egypt even as the interim government authorised the police to use live ammunition in self-defense on Thursday.
The African Union (AU) is now sending a new mission to Egypt to help the country “return to democratic transformation and constitutional normalcy”.
The African Union had last month suspended Egypt from all Union activities since the ouster of former President Mohammed Morsi.
An earlier fact-finding team of the African Union had visited Egypt and met with Morsi and representatives from the interim government, the Muslim Brotherhood and the Arab League.
South Africa has also urged all political detainees to be released and has urged that the responsibility of protecting civilians rests with the interim government.
Egyptian forces arrested 200 protesters and senior Muslim Brotherhood leaders on Wednesday.
South Africa has also urged for an “Egyptian-led, all-inclusive negotiated process” that can bring the country out of the current political deadlock and the ensuing violence.
The US President Barack Obama on Thursday cancelled joint military exercises with Egypt but has not yet suspended the $1.3 billion annual military aid to the country.
The BRICS Post