Follow us on:   

Egyptian interior minister targeted by car bomb
September 5, 2013, 10:33 am


The Interior Minister Mohammed Ibrahim is in charge of Egypt’s police force [AP]

A car bomb on Thursday morning targeted the convoy of Egypt’s Interior Minister Mohammed Ibrahim but the minister survived the attack, says security officials.

Officials said it was not clear whether the explosion was caused by a suicide car bombing or a vehicle rigged with explosives and detonated by remote control.

At least seven people, including a child, were injured in the attack, Ahram Online reported, quoting Egypt’s Ambulance Authority.

The explosion took place near Ibrahim’s residence in the capital’s Nasr City district, according to state-run MENA news agency.

Criminal investigators and explosion experts were immediately sent to the scene.

The Interior Minister is in charge of Egypt’s police force.

The country’s police and security forces cleared two protest camps set up by Muslim Brotherhood supporters of ousted President Mohammed Morsi in Cairo last month.

Nasr City was the site of one of the protest camps.

Source: Agencies 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Anti-Spam * Time limit is exhausted. Please reload the CAPTCHA.