Follow us on:   

China rescues nationals from Yemen, India asks for Saudi support
March 31, 2015, 4:45 am

A Chinese citizen goes through security check before boarding a Chinese navy vessel in Aden Harbor, Yemen, March 29, 2015 [Xinhua]

A Chinese citizen goes through security check before boarding a Chinese navy vessel in Aden Harbor, Yemen, March 29, 2015 [Xinhua]

More than 500 Chinese nationals have been rescued from conflict-ridden Yemen, after China sent guided-missile frigates to help with the evacuation, Chinese media reported on Tuesday.

Four hundred and forty-nine Chinese nationals were brought out safely from the Yemeni coastal city of Al-Hodayda while over 120 of them were evacuated to the Republic of Djibouti, an African country located across the strait in the Gulf of Aden from Yemen.

The Chinese government on Sunday redirected navy vessels performing anti-pirate missions in the Gulf of Aden and Somali waters for the evacuation.

The fleet is comprised of missile frigates Linyi and Weifang, and supply ship Weishanhu.

Meanwhile, India is trying to rescue more than 4000 Indian nationals from the war-torn country. Earlier on Monday, Indian Prime Minister asked for help from Saudi King Salman bin Abdulaziz Al-Saud during a telephone conversation.

“India to begin evacuation effort by sea to repatriate nationals from Yemen today,” tweeted Syed Akbaruddin, spokesperson, Indian Foreign Ministry on Monday.

“Prime Minister briefed His Majesty King Salman on India’s evacuation plan and requested His Majesty’s support and cooperation in the evacuation of Indian citizens from Yemen,” said an official statement from the Indian Prime Minister’s Office.

While, India has said it will not close its embassy till the evacuation of its nationals are over, China has indicated that its embassy in the capital Sanaa will remain open to aid Chinese nationals who have decided to stay back.

“Chinese Ambassador Tian Qi and a necessary number of embassy staff are now holding their posts in Yemen,” said Hua Chunying, Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesperson on Monday in Beijing.

“They have maintained close communication with all relevant parties and made all-out efforts to help the remaining 400-plus Chinese in Yemen withdraw safely and in good order,” she added.

Saudi Arabia is leading a coalition of 10 countries conducting airstrikes on the positions of Houthi militants in Yemen. The airstrikes started on Wednesday upon the request from ousted Yemeni President Abd Rabbuh Mansur Hadi, who has fled the country amid hostilities.

The United Arab Emirates, Kuwait, Bahrain, Qatar, Jordan, Morocco, Sudan, Pakistan and Egypt form the coalition, alongside Saudi Arabia, with the United States providing intelligence, targeting and logistical support.

 

TBP and Agencies

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Anti-Spam * Time limit is exhausted. Please reload the CAPTCHA.