Follow us on:   

Chaos as Egyptian forces clear pro-Morsi camps
August 14, 2013, 9:19 am


Egyptian security forces have denied using excessive force [AP]

Egyptian security forces on Wednesday started breaking up two major protest camps occupied by supporters of ousted President Mohamed Morsi in Cairo.

The Egyptian Health Ministry said at least six people have been killed, including two members of the security forces.

The two members of the security forces were shot dead while clearing a protest camp, according to state-run MENA news agency.

Al Jazeera has reported that 40 people have been killed in the violence during the clearing of the protest camps.

Meanwhile, the Interior Ministry said in a statement that the security forces “have taken all necessary procedures to disband the two said sit-ins, allowing the sit-inners to safely leave through specific announced exits.”

The Interior Ministry said 200 people have been arrested so far and has shut down trains across the country.

The Muslim Brotherhood has claimed that hundreds of protestors have been killed.

UK Foreign Secretary William Hague has condemned the “use of force in clearing protests” and expressed concern at escalating violence in Egypt.

According to the spokesperson of the Muslim Brotherhood, a 17 year old daughter of one of their important leaders, Mohamed Al Beltagy, has been killed during the army crackdown.

A journalist from Gulf News and a SKY TV UK cameraman were also killed today in Rabaa al Adawiya protest venue.

Morsi’s loyalists have been holding two major sit-ins at the Rabia al-Adawiya Square and Nahda Square since June 28.

Source: Agencies

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Anti-Spam * Time limit is exhausted. Please reload the CAPTCHA.