Follow us on:   

AU, UN condemn Mozambique fighting
October 24, 2013, 4:02 am

UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-Moon says all parties must respect the tenets of the 21-year-old peace treaty [Getty Images]

UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-Moon says all parties must respect the tenets of the 21-year-old peace treaty [Getty Images]

Both the United Nations (UN) and the African Union (AU) have condemned renewed fighting between Mozambique’s government forces and the Mozabican National Resistance Movement (RENAMO), which flared on Monday.

RENAMO announced it was withdrawing from a 21-year peace treaty, following a government raid on the camp of its leader Alfonso Dhlakama last week. He managed to evade capture.

RENAMO, the former rebel group, fought a civil war from 1976 to 1992.

Mozambique government officials said the raid carried out by national forces comes in retaliation for what they say were deadly attacks on civilians earlier this year.

UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-Moon in the meantime urged all parties to immediately cease hostilities and respect the peace that has prevailed in the past 21 years.

Ban said that he called on RENAMO and the government to “fully engage in an inclusive dialogue to resolve differences within the established democratic order and to ensure that the country continues to achieve social inclusion and sustainable development for all”.

Reacting to RENAMO’s decision to withdraw from the peace treaty, AU spokesperson El-Ghassim Wane said his organization is calling for restraint and dialogue, and has clearly stated its rejection of any attempt to destabilise Mozambique.

“Mozambique has made tremendous progress both politically and economically over the past decade, and we believe it is important that progress … is preserved, and that we ensure that no attempt to destabilize the country succeeds,” said Wane.

Sources: Agencies

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Anti-Spam * Time limit is exhausted. Please reload the CAPTCHA.